Country music superstar Alan Jackson will release his first bluegrass album – appropriately titled The Bluegrass Album – on September 24th. Jackson wrote eight songs for the album, which also includes other originals and a couple of well-known standards of the genre. The Bluegrass Album will be released on ACR (Alan’s Country Records)/EMI Records Nashville and is produced by Keith Stegall and Jackson’s nephew, Adam Wright.
Jackson has openly expressed his desire to record a bluegrass album for years. This spring, a group of some of the best players and singers in bluegrass came together, emerging in a matter of days with the completed acoustic album. He enlisted Scott Coney (acoustic guitar), Sammy Shelor (banjo), Adam Steffey (mandolin), Tim Crouch (fiddle), Tim Dishman (bass), Rob Ickes (dobro) and Ronnie Bowman and Don Rigsby (vocals).
Originals that Jackson penned for the album include such titles as “Blacktop,” “Blue Ridge Mountain Song” and “Mary.” Covers on The Bluegrass Album include The Dillards’ “There Is A Time,” John Anderson’s “Wild and Blue” and a ¾-time version of Bill Monroe’s seminal “Blue Moon of Kentucky.”
1. Long Hard Road – Alan Jackson
2. Mary – Alan Jackson
3. Appalachian Mountain Girl – Alan Jackson
4. Tie Me Down – Alan Jackson
5. Way Beyond The Blue – Mark D. Sanders/Randy Albright/Lisa Silver
6. Ain’t Got Trouble Now – Adam Wright
7. Blue Ridge Mountain Song – Alan Jackson
8. Blacktop – Alan Jackson
9. Blue Side of Heaven – Alan Jackson
10. There Is A Time – Rodney Dillard/Mitch Jayne
11. Wild and Blue – John Scott Sherrill
12. Knew All Along – Adam Wright/Shannon Wright
13. Let’s Get Back to Me and You – Alan Jackson
14. Blue Moon of Kentucky – Bill Monroe
Author: Buddy Iahn
Buddy Iahn founded The Music Universe when he decided to juxtapose his love of web design and music. As a lifelong drummer, he decided to take a hiatus from playing music to report it. The website began as a fun project in 2013 to one of the top independent news sites.