UMe celebrates the world’s most famous secret agent on Nov 20th
On November 20th, UMe will release an updated version of The Best Of Bond…James Bond, a digital, 2 CD and 3 LP black vinyl compilation featuring celebrated theme songs from the longest-running film franchise. In addition, a limited edition gold vinyl will be available exclusively via uDiscover Music and Sound of Vinyl. The new collection will include “No Time To Die” by Billie Eilish from No Time To Die, the 25th film in the series. Adele’s “Skyfall” from Skyfall, the highest-grossing Bond film to date, and Sam Smith’s Spectre theme, “Writing’s On the Wall,” Oscar winners for Best Song in 2013 and 2016, respectively, will also be included in the updated edition.
In addition to Eilish, Adele and Smith, included is the signature instrumental “James Bond Theme” by The John Barry Orchestra, which remains one of the most recognizable themes from film. The collection also includes Dame Shirley Bassey (Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever and Moonraker). With “Goldfinger,” Bassey achieved her first Top 10 hit, reaching No. 8 on The Billboard Hot 100 and No. 2 on the Adult Contemporary charts. Bassey made her Oscars debut at the 85th Academy Awards, where she performed a spectacular rendition of “Goldfinger” as part of the telecast’s James Bond 50th Anniversary tribute, which was celebrated by UMe with vinyl reissues of long-out-of-print soundtracks to Dr. No, Goldfinger and Live And Let Die.
Along with Louis Armstrong (“We Have All The Time In The World”), Nancy Sinatra (“You Only Live Twice”), Lulu (“The Man With The Golden Gun”), The Best Of Bond…James Bond also includes Paul McCartney & Wings (“Live And Let Die”). Written by Paul McCartney and Linda McCartney, performed by Paul McCartney & Wings and produced by former Beatles producer George Martin, the title theme song hit No. 2 on the chart, and it was nominated for both a GRAMMY Award, for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s)/Best Background Arrangement, and an Academy Award, for Best Original Song. The single “Live And Let Die” became the first Bond theme song to win a GRAMMY Award (Best Pop Vocal Performance, 1973), and the song continues to be a highlight in McCartney’s live performances.
The Best Of Bond…James Bond also features Carly Simon (“Nobody Does It Better”), Tina Turner (“GoldenEye”), Duran Duran (“A View To A Kill”), Sheryl Crow (“Tomorrow Never Dies”), Madonna (“Die Another Day”), Garbage (“The World Is Not Enough”). With the release of “Skyfall,” Rolling Stone compiled its Top 10 James Bond Theme Songs, all ten of which, of course, appear on this set, including Tom Jones (“Thunderball”) and Matt Monro (“From Russia With Love”).
1. James Bond Theme – The John Barry Orchestra
2. From Russia With Love – Matt Monro
3. Goldfinger – Shirley Bassey
4. Thunderball – Tom Jones
5. You Only Live Twice – Nancy Sinatra
6. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service – The John Barry Orchestra
7. We Have All The Time In The World – Louis Armstrong
8. Diamonds Are Forever – Shirley Bassey
9. Live And Let Die – Paul McCartney & Wings
10. The Man With The Golden Gun – Lulu
11. Nobody Does It Better – Carly Simon
12. Moonraker – Shirley Bassey
13. For Your Eyes Only – Sheena Easton
14. All Time High – Rita Coolidge
1. A View To A Kill – Duran Duran
2. The Living Daylights – A-Ha
3. License To Kill – Gladys Knight
4. GoldenEye – Tina Turner
5. Tomorrow Never Dies – Sheryl Crow
6. The World Is Not Enough – Garbage
7. Die Another Day – Madonna
8. You Know My Name – Chris Cornell
9. Another Way To Die – Jack White & Alicia Keys
10. Skyfall – Adele
11. Writing’s On The Wall – Sam Smith
12. No Time To Die – Billie Eilish
Author: Buddy Iahn
Buddy Iahn founded The Music Universe when he decided to juxtapose his love of web design and music. As a lifelong drummer, he decided to take a hiatus from playing music to report it. The website began as a fun project in 2013 to one of the top independent news sites.