All 4 the Hall, the all-star country concert benefiting the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, raised $600,000 during the fifth annual event at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville on Tuesday (May 6th).
The event, conceived by Vince Gill and Keith Urban, featured more than a dozen country singers ranging from Hall of Famers to recent chart-toppers coming together to preserve country music’s legacy. Lee Ann Womack, Brett Elderidge, Deana Carter, David Nail, Kacey Musgraves, Brantley Gilbert, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Kip Moore, Ronnie Milsap, Reba McEntire, Carrie Underwood and Darius Rucker were all hand-picked by Urban to perform at the event. Of course, Gill and Urban hosted and performed as well.
Billed as “Songtellers,” the evening focused on narrative songwriting, often using the details of individual lives to address universal themes, such as love, heartbreak, deceit, families, drinking, generosity, standing up for yourself and surviving life with determination and gusto.
The evening’s theme encouraged performers and songwriters to talk about the inspiration behind the songs. The motivation for the hits included heartbreak, headaches, lost love, first dates, cars, breaking the law, spiritual conflict, TV shows, forgetting a potential paramour’s last name, pigs who swim and, more than once, Dolly Parton.
“The real reason this is successful is because all of you bought a ticket and came here,” said Gill, in introducing his 2007 recording “What You Give Away,” about how being a charitable person repays each of us in multiple ways. “That’s where all the money we’re going to raise comes from. So thank you for making a great contribution to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum tonight.”
The night’s musical entertainment included:
• Keith Urban and Vince Gill: “Wake Up Little Susie”
• Lee Ann Womack: “The Way I’m Livin'” and “A Little Past Little Rock”
• Brett Eldredge: “Beat of the Music” and “Mean to Me”
• Deana Carter: “You & Tequila” and “Strawberry Wine”
• David Nail: “Whatever She’s Got” and “Galveston”
• Vince Gill: “What You Give Away” and “Together Again”
• Keith Urban: “Somewhere In My Car”
• Kacey Musgraves: “Merry Go ‘Round” and “Here You Come Again”
• Brantley Gilbert: “Bottoms Up”
• Mary Chapin Carpenter: “He Thinks He’ll Keep Her” and “Why Shouldn’t He”
• Kip Moore: “My Baby’s Gone” and “Dirt Road”
• Keith Urban: “Cop Car”
• Ronnie Milsap: “Smoky Mountain Rain” and “Stranger in My House”
• Reba McEntire: “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia” and “I’m a Survivor”
• Brantley Gilbert: “Grown Ass Man”
• Carrie Underwood: “I Will Always Love You” and “Last Name”
• Darius Rucker: “Don’t Think I Don’t Think About It” and “Wagon Wheel”
Author: Buddy Iahn
Buddy Iahn founded The Music Universe when he decided to juxtapose his love of web design and music. As a lifelong drummer, he decided to take a hiatus from playing music to report it. The website began as a fun project in 2013 to one of the top independent news sites.