Bob Dylan’s The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration is getting the deluxe treatment on March 4th when it’s released for the first time on two disc DVD, single disc hi-def Blu-ray and as a remastered two CD set with two bonus tracks.
The four hour show captures an unprecedented roster of artists and icons celebrating the 30th anniversary of Bob Dylan’s first Columbia Records album and performing some of the singer/songwriter’s most iconic to obscure tracks that had moved and inspired them throughout their careers.
The concert was held on October 16, 1992 at Madison Square Garden in New York City and included Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash, Lou Reed, The Clancy Brothers, Ritchie Havens, Johnny Winter, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Stevie Wonder, Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Kris Kristofferson, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Ron Wood, Chrissie Hynde, The O’Jays, Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder, Sinead O’Connor, Tracy Chapman, George Harrison (then making his first US concert appearance in 18 years) and more performing in front of a sold-out crowd of more than 18,000 fans that was also live-cast around the world.
Neil Young dubbed the event “Bobfest” on stage which ended with a three song set from Dylan himself. Providing musical backing throughout the show was an ensemble dream team featuring three members of Booker T. & The M.G.’s, G.E. Smith on guitar with Jim Keltner and Anton Fig on drums.
The two CD Deluxe Edition contains remastered audio and premieres two previously unreleased recordings from the concert’s sound check: Sinéad O’Connor singing “I Believe In You” and Eric Clapton’s interpretation of “Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright.”
The Blu-ray and DVD contains a new high definition video master with remastered audio and also includes 40 minutes of previously unreleased material including behind-the-scenes rehearsal footage, interviews and more.
1. Like a Rolling Stone – John Mellencamp
2. Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat – John Mellencamp
3. Introduction by Kris Kristofferson
4. Blowin’ in the Wind – Stevie Wonder
5. Foot of Pride – Lou Reed
6. Masters of War – Eddie Vedder & Mike McCready
7. The Times They Are a-Changin’ – Tracy Chapman
8. Introduction by Kris Kristofferson
9. It Ain’t Me Babe – June Carter Cash & Johnny Cash
10. What Was It You Wanted – Willie Nelson
11. I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight – Kris Kristofferson
12. Highway 61 Revisited – Johnny Winter
13. Seven Days – Ron Wood
14. Just Like a Woman – Richie Havens
15. When the Ship Comes In – The Clancy Brothers and Robbie O’Connell with special guest Tommy Makem
16. Introduction by Johnny Cash
17. You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere Mary-Chapin Carpenter, Rosanne Cash & Shawn Colvin
18. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right (Rehearsal – October 15, 1992) – Eric Clapton
1. Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues – Neil Young
2. All Along the Watchtower – Neil Young
3. I Shall Be Released – Chrissie Hynde
4. Don’t Think Twice, It s All Right – Eric Clapton
5. Emotionally Yours – The O’Jays
6. When I Paint My Masterpiece – The Band
7. Absolutely Sweet Marie – George Harrison
8. License to Kill – Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
9. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 – Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
10. Mr. Tambourine Man – Roger McGuinn
11. It’s Alright, Ma (I m Only Bleeding) – Bob Dylan
12. My Back Pages – Bob Dylan, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Eric Clapton & George Harrison
13. Knockin’ on Heaven s Door – Everyone
14. Girl from the North Country – Bob Dylan
15. I Believe in You (Afternoon Rehearsal – October 16, 1992) – Sinead O Connor
DVD/Blu-ray Bonus Tracks
Leopard-Skin Pill-box Hat – John Mellencamp
Boots Of Spanish Leather – Nancy Griffith with Carolyn Hester
Gotta Serve Somebody – Booker T. & The M.G.’s
Author: Buddy Iahn
Buddy Iahn founded The Music Universe when he decided to juxtapose his love of web design and music. As a lifelong drummer, he decided to take a hiatus from playing music to report it. The website began as a fun project in 2013 to one of the top independent news sites.