Florida Georgia Line has set numerous records with their massive hit “Cruise” and now add Top Selling Country Digital Song of All Time to that list.
According to Billboard, the duo has sold 6.33 million downloads of their genre-busting single, surpassing Lady Antebellum’s “Need You Now,” which now moves to second place with 6.27 million downloads, provided by Nielson SoundScan.
A remix featuring rapper Nelly, released in summer 2013, accounts for nearly 40% of the track’s overall sales.
The song has been breaking records since it’s summer 2012 release. In 2013, the song spent 24 non-consecutive weeks at the top of the charts, breaking the record for the longest-running No. 1 in the 70 year history of the Hot Country Songs chart. It also also reached No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 7 on the Pop Songs radio chart.
The duo is nearing another milestone in their career with its current single “Stay” as its second-longest chart-topper which has spent five weeks at No. 1 and has sold 689,000 downloads as of press time.
Each of the top five country digital singles of all time have had significant pop crossover success.
The Top 10 Selling Country Digital Songs of All Time provided by Nielsen SoundScan:
1. Florida Georgia Line, “Cruise” – 6.33 million
2. Lady Antebellum, “Need You Now” – 6.27 million
3. Taylor Swift, “Love Story” – 5.66 million
4. The Band Perry, “If I Die Young” – 4.74 million
5. Taylor Swift, “You Belong With Me” – 4.41 million
6. Zac Brown Band, “Chicken Fried” – 4.06 million
7. Jason Aldean, “Dirt Road Anthem” – 3.94 million
8. Carrie Underwood, “Before He Cheats” – 3.90 million
9. Taylor Swift, “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” – 3.77 million
10. Miley Cyrus, “The Climb” – 3.71 million
Author: Buddy Iahn
Buddy Iahn founded The Music Universe when he decided to juxtapose his love of web design and music. As a lifelong drummer, he decided to take a hiatus from playing music to report it. The website began as a fun project in 2013 to one of the top independent news sites.