Blackbird Presents Records and CMT announce the broadcast premiere and 2 CD/DVD release of The Life & Songs Of Kris Kristofferson, an all star concert event. The broadcast, concert film and music release features a collection of legendary singers, songwriters, and rising superstars who came together for a once-in-a-lifetime concert event taping in Nashville, Tennessee at the Bridgestone Arena to celebrate the songs of music icon Kris Kristofferson. CMT will premiere the 90-minute broadcast on Friday, October 27th at 10 pm ET/PT, and Blackbird Presents Records will release the full-length concert film as a 2 CD/DVD combo and single CD the same day.
The Life & Songs Of Kris Kristofferson features captivating performances, in-depth interviews, and compelling behind-the-scenes footage with Kris Kristofferson, Jessi Alexander, Lady Antebellum, Dierks Bentley, Ryan Bingham, Rosanne Cash, Eric Church, Jessi Colter, Rodney Crowell, Larry Gatlin, Emmylou Harris, Jack Ingram, Shooter Jennings, Jamey Johnson, Alison Krauss, Martina McBride, The Travelin’ McCourys, Reba McEntire, Buddy Miller, Willie Nelson, Jennifer Nettles, Jon Randall, Darius Rucker, Hank Williams Jr. and Lee Ann Womack. Performances include a range of Kristofferson classics, such as “Me And Bobby McGee” (performed by Reba McEntire), “Help Me Make It Through The Night” (Performed by Lady Antebellum), “To Beat The Devil” (Performed by Eric Church), a very special performance of “Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down” (performed by Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson), and an all-star grand finale performance of “Why Me.
In addition to the 2 CD/DVD release fans can get exclusive merchandise from PledgeMusic including a limited edition framed gig poster from the night of the show, color photo, and an Epiphone Limited Edition 1963 J-45 guitar, all signed by Kris Kristofferson. Merchandise bundles which include the official concert t-shirt, hat and 2 CD/DVD are available via Blackbird Presents at the special’s official website.
Kristofferson, a Country Music Hall of Fame inductee, is considered a true poet who helped modernize the genre with songs such as “Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down,” “Help Me Make It Through the Night,” “Me and Bobby McGee” and “Lovin’ Her Was Easier.” These are the songs of heartbreak and despair, of love and loss, of yearning and hope. These are the songs so honest that we adopted them as our own. They are the songs of a life led unlike any other: An All-American athlete, Golden Gloves boxer, Army Ranger, helicopter pilot, singer-songwriter, social activist, humanitarian and movie star.
Keith Wortman is creator and executive producer of the show. GRAMMY Award-winner Don Was served as music director alongside country music legend Buddy Cannon. An all-star band that included featured artist and GRAMMY Award-winner Buddy Miller backed the performers at this incomparable concert event taping.
“Few musicians have had as profound an impact on music as Kris Kristofferson,” Blackbird CEO Keith Wortman says. “It’s only fitting that we celebrated his artistry just blocks from where the legend was born, with both his friends and contemporaries and those who are continuing his legacy with raw, honest songwriting of their own.”
1. Please Don’t Tell Me How The Story Ends – Buddy Miller
2. Kristofferson – Jessi Alexander, Jon Randall & Larry Gatlin
3. Here Comes That Rainbow Again – Martina McBride
4. The Taker – Ryan Bingham
5. The Captive – Jessi Colter
6. Nobody Wins – Lee Ann Womack
7. Jesus Was A Capricorn (Owed to John Prine) – Jack Ingram
8. Worth Fighting For – Jennifer Nettles
9. Loving Her Was Easier (Than Anything I’ll Ever Do Again) – Rosanne Cash
10. Chase The Feeling – Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell
11. The Pilgrim: Chapter 33 – Emmylou Harris & Kris Kristofferson
12. From the Bottle to the Bottom – Dierks Bentley & The Travelin’ McCourys
13. Help Me Make It Through The Night – Lady Antebellum
14. Under The Gun – Darius Rucker
15. For The Good Times – Jamey Johnson & Alison Krauss
16. Casey’s Last Ride – Alison Krauss
17. If You Don’t Like Hank Williams – Hank Williams Jr.
18. To Beat The Devil – Eric Church
19. Me And Bobby McGee – Reba McEntire
20. Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down – Willie Nelson & Kris Kristofferson
21. Why Me – Kris Kristofferson & Full Ensemble
Author: Buddy Iahn
Buddy Iahn founded The Music Universe when he decided to juxtapose his love of web design and music. As a lifelong drummer, he decided to take a hiatus from playing music to report it. The website began as a fun project in 2013 to one of the top independent news sites.