The Led Zeppelin reissue campaign got off to a remarkable start in June as deluxe editions of Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, and Led Zeppelin III debuted in the top 10 of the Billboard Top 200 Albums chart. The albums achieved similar international success with debuts near the top of the charts in more than a dozen territories, including Canada, France, Germany, Japan, and the United Kingdom.
The band has now prepared the reissues of Led Zeppelin IV (the third best-selling album in U.S. history) and Houses Of The Holy. As with the previous deluxe editions, both albums have been newly remastered by guitarist and producer Jimmy Page and are accompanied by a second disc of companion audio comprised entirely of unreleased music related to that album.
Led Zeppelin IV and Houses Of The Holy will each be available October 28th from Atlantic/Swan Song in the following formats:
Remastered album packaged in a gatefold card wallet.
Remastered album, plus a second disc of unreleased companion audio.
Remastered album on 180-gram vinyl, packaged in a sleeve that replicates the LP’s first pressing in exacting detail.
Remastered album and unreleased companion audio on 180-gram vinyl.
Remastered album and companion audio will both be available.
This collection includes:
- Remastered album on CD in vinyl replica sleeve.
- Companion audio on CD in card wallet featuring new alternate cover art.
- Remastered album on 180-gram vinyl in a sleeve replicating first pressing.
- Companion audio on 180-gram vinyl in a sleeve with new alternate cover art.
- High-def audio download card of all content at 96kHz/24 bit.
- Hard bound, 80 page book filled with rare and previously unseen photos and memorabilia.
- High-quality print of the original album cover, the first 30,000 of which will be individually numbered.
Led Zeppelin IV: Deluxe Edition
The second round of reissues begins with one of the most artistically influential and commercially successful albums in the history of music, Led Zeppelin IV. Released in November 1971, the album—which is officially untitled—defined the sound of rock music for a generation with ubiquitous anthems such as “Stairway To Heaven,” “Rock And Roll,” “Black Dog,” and “When The Levee Breaks.” The album was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999, has been certified 23x platinum by the RIAA.
The Led Zeppelin IV Deluxe Edition includes unreleased versions of every song heard on the original album including alternate mixes of “Misty Mountain Hop” and “Four Sticks,” mixes of “The Battle Of Evermore” and “Going To California” heavy with guitar and mandolin, and the fabled, alternate version “Stairway To Heaven,” mixed at the Sunset Sound Studio in Los Angeles which lets fans hear one of the most revered songs of all time as they have never heard it before.
Led Zeppelin IV:
1. “Black Dog”
2. “Rock And Roll”
3. “The Battle of Evermore”
4. “Stairway To Heaven”
5. “Misty Mountain Hop”
6. “Four Sticks”
7. “Going To California”
8. “When The Levee Breaks”
Companion Audio Disc:
1. “Black Dog” – Basic Track With Guitar Overdubs
2. “Rock And Roll” – Alternate Mix
3. “The Battle Of Evermore” – Mandolin/Guitar Mix From Headley Grange
4. “Stairway To Heaven” – Sunset Sound Mix
5. “Misty Mountain Hop” – Alternate Mix
6. “Four Sticks” – Alternate Mix
7. “Going To California” – Mandolin/Guitar Mix
8. “When The Levee Breaks” – Alternate UK Mix
Houses Of The Holy: Deluxe Edition
Led Zeppelin topped the charts again in 1973 with Houses Of The Holy, which features legendary tracks such as “The Song Remains The Same” and “No Quarter” while also showcasing the continuing evolution of the band’s signature sound with the reggae-tinged “D’yer Mak’er” and the funk jam “The Crunge.” The album has been certified diamond by the RIAA for sales of over 11 million copies.
The seven unreleased tracks on the companion audio disc include rough and working mixes for “The Ocean” and “Dancing Days” that reveal a deeper look inside the recording sessions of these classic songs. Other standout recordings include the guitar mix backing track for “Over The Hills And Far Away” and a version of “The Rain Song” without piano.
Houses of the Holy:
1. “The Song Remains The Same”
2. “The Rain Song”
3. “Over The Hills And Far Away”
4. “The Crunge”
5. “Dancing Days”
6. “D’yer Mak’er”
7. “No Quarter”
8. “The Ocean”
Companion Audio Disc:
1. “The Song Remains The Same” – Guitar Overdub Reference Mix
2. “The Rain Song” – Mix Minus Piano
3. “Over The Hills And Far Away” – Guitar Mix Backing Track
4. “The Crunge” – Rough Mix – Keys Up
5. “Dancing Days” – Rough Mix With Vocal
6. “No Quarter” – Rough Mix With JPJ Keyboard Overdubs – No Vocal
7. “The Ocean” – Working Mix
Author: Buddy Iahn
Buddy Iahn founded The Music Universe when he decided to juxtapose his love of web design and music. As a lifelong drummer, he decided to take a hiatus from playing music to report it. The website began as a fun project in 2013 to one of the top independent news sites.