MTV2 is bringing back MTV’s classic Hottest MCs franchise with MTV2 Presents: Hottest MCs in the Game 2016, airing on Friday, December 16th at 11 pm ET/PT. The half-hour special will be hosted by Charlamagne tha God, host of MTV2’s Uncommon Sense and co-host of The Breakfast Club on Power 105.1 FM, and feature an eight-person expert panel debating the top 10 most fascinating and culturally relevant artists of 2016.
- Brian “B. Dot” Miller – Rapradar.com
- Joe Budden – Rapper and Host of “I’ll Name This Podcast Later”
- Karen Civil – KarenCivil.com
- Letty – Host of #TRAP on Real 92.3
- Miranda Johnson – Hip hop journalist
- Nick Cannon – Host and Executive Producer of MTV’s “Wild ‘N Out”
- Sickamore – VP, Creative Director at Epic
- Taxstone – “Tax Season” podcast
Additionally, MCs including Young M.A, Lil Yachty, Joey Badass and more will also give their top picks for 2016.
Beginning on Monday, December 12th through Thursday, December 15th, MTV2 will begin the countdown, revealing the hottest ten through seven MCs each day on-air, on hottestmcs.mtv2.com and via MTV2’s social platforms, including Facebook and @MTV2 on Twitter. On Friday, December 16th the six MCs in contention for the top spot will be debated and ranked during the special, ultimately crowning the “Hottest MC” of 2016 who will join past top-picks Kendrick Lamar, Rick Ross, Eminem, Jay-Z, Kanye West and Lil Wayne.
The top 10 MCs will be ranked based on the following criteria:
- Buzz – From dropping mixtapes and guest verses, to interviews, concert appearances and beyond, who commanded the most discussion and excitement this year?
- Impact – In a historic election year and a time of unprecedented social unrest, whose music served as an agent of change within the hip hop community and beyond?
- Business – Who performed the best across streaming/traditional charts and/or had the most successful tours?
- Lyrics – Which rapper had the most memorable verses of the year that inspired culture?
- Style – From their message and music videos, to fashion and collaborations, who pushed boundaries of style the most?
- Social Reach – Who was a trailblazer on social media and how did they use it to further themselves and/or their message?
- Intangibles – It’s time to get personal. The panelists will weigh in on qualities they believe each rapper should have, but might not be as easily identifiable.
The 40 MCs in contention for this year’s crown (in alphabetical order) include:
||Lil Uzi Vert
|A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie
|Chance The Rapper
Author: Buddy Iahn
Buddy Iahn founded The Music Universe when he decided to juxtapose his love of web design and music. As a lifelong drummer, he decided to take a hiatus from playing music to report it. The website began as a fun project in 2013 to one of the top independent news sites.