A&M/Interscope Records announces the release of Sting’s new album, 57th & 9th, his first rock/pop project in over a decade, on November 11th. The project will be released on CD, Deluxe CD, Super Deluxe CD/DVD and 180-gram vinyl.
57th & 9th represents a wide range of Sting’s musical and songwriting styles, from the ferocious, Road Warrior-style imagery of “Petrol Head,” to the anthemic, “50,000” and the raucous, guitar-driven first single, “I Can’t Stop Thinking About You.”
The album was recorded with Sting’s long-time collaborators Dominic Miller (guitar) and Vinnie Colaiuta (drums) and includes contributions from drummer Josh Freese (Nine Inch Nails, Guns n’ Roses), guitarist Lyle Workman and the San Antonio-based Tex-Mex band The Last Bandoleros. Riding a wave of inspiration, 57th & 9th came together impulsively, with sessions completed in just a few weeks.
“It happened very quickly, very spontaneously,” he says. “My idea always is to surprise myself and the people I’m working with—and, hopefully, the listeners.”
On Wednesday (Aug 31st), he debuted “I Can’t Stop Thinking About You” with a world premiere performance on the Kevin & Bean Show at KROQ, Los Angeles’ premiere alternative rock station. The single is available now at all digital retailers.
The album, produced by Martin Kierszenbaum, takes its title from the Manhattan street corner that Sting crossed each day as he walked to the studios in Hell’s Kitchen where the recordings were done. Sting notes that if there’s a theme in the lyrics of 57th & 9th, it’s the idea of travel and motion, most apparent in “Inshallah” and the autobiographical “Heading South On The Great North Road.”
“It’s about searching and traveling, the road, that pull of the unknown.” he says. “On this album, we ended up with something that’s energetic and noisy, but also thoughtful.”
1. I Can’t Stop Thinking About You
3. Down, Down, Down
4. One Fine Day
5. Pretty Young Soldier
6. Petrol Head
7. Heading South On The Great North Road
8. If You Can’t Love Me
10. The Empty Chair
- Liner Notes Penned by Sting
- I Can’t Stop Thinking About You (LA Version) – Bonus Track
- Inshallah (Berlin Sessions Version) – Bonus Track
- Next To You with The Last Bandoleros (Live at Rockwood Music Hall) – Bonus Track
- Includes three bonus tracks [I Can’t Stop Thinking About You (LA Version), Inshallah (Berlin Sessions Version) & Next To You with The Last Bandoleros (Live at Rockwood Music Hall)]
- Liner notes penned by Sting
- DVD featuring an exclusive interview with Sting
- Live performance of Next To You with The Last Bandoleros (Live at Rockwood Music Hall)
- Collectible Photographs
Author: Buddy Iahn
Buddy Iahn founded The Music Universe when he decided to juxtapose his love of web design and music. As a lifelong drummer, he decided to take a hiatus from playing music to report it. The website began as a fun project in 2013 to one of the top independent news sites.