Song is first single and video from Trolls World Tour
Nine-time Grammy Award nominee, Academy Award and Golden Globe nominee SZA and ten-time Grammy winner, four-time Emmy winner, and Academy Award nominee Justin Timberlake team up to release the track and music video for “The Other Side.” The track was written specifically for Trolls World Tour by Justin Timberlake, Ludwig Göransson, Max Martin, Sarah Aarons and Solana Rowe (SZA) and produced by Timberlake and Göransson. “The Other Side” is the first single to be released from the upcoming Trolls World Tour (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack), available on March 13th via RCA Records. The full video premiered first on MTV Live, MTV U and BET Soul as well as on ViacomCBS’s Time Square billboards.
Timberlake will return as the executive music producer alongside Grammy and Academy Award winning composer/producer Ludwig Göransson. Timberlake wrote and performed new original music for the film, which also includes music from the cast and some of today’s top artists including Kelly Clarkson, Anderson .Paak, Mary J. Blige, Anna Kendrick, George Clinton, Dierks Bentley, Anthony Ramos and more.
The visuals for “The Other Side” pay homage to hip hop videos of the 90’s and finds SZA and Timberlake dancing and playful in front of a fisheye lens.
“I was so thrilled to be invited to participate in this project with Justin,” states SZA. “The creative process of working with him and the team was filled with such excitement. It’s an energy you can feel in both the song and music video. I can’t wait for people to check it out.”
“It has been such a fun process writing and executive producing for this project,” shares Timberlake. “Being able to bring together different creatives from various disciplines and genres has been the most rewarding part. Creating something that serves the movie while still being able to exist apart from it has been a fun challenge that was made even more exciting by working with the other amazing artists that helped us put this together.”
Trolls World Tour Original Motion Picture Soundtrack follows the highly successful No. 1 children’s soundtrack for DreamWorks Animation’s 2016 musical hit Trolls, which was also produced by Timberlake. The soundtrack featured the 4X platinum selling song, “Can’t Stop The Feeling!” which became the best-selling song of 2016, debuted No. 1 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart, won the Grammy Award for Best Song For Visual Media and secured multiple nominations including an Academy Award, a Golden Globe and many more.
Anna Kendrick and Justin Timberlake return in Trolls World Tour. In an adventure that will take them well beyond what they’ve known before, Poppy (Kendrick) and Branch (Timberlake) discover that they are but one of six different Trolls tribes scattered over six different lands and devoted to six different kinds of music: Funk, Country, Techno, Classical, Pop and Rock. Their world is about to get a lot bigger and a whole lot louder.
A member of hard rock royalty, Queen Barb (Rachel Bloom), aided by her father King Thrash (Ozzy Osbourne), wants to destroy all other kinds of music to let rock reign supreme. With the fate of the world at stake, Poppy and Branch, along with their friends — Biggie (James Corden), Chenille (Caroline Hjelt), Satin (Aino Jawo), Cooper (Ron Funches) and Guy Diamond (Kunal Nayyar) — set out to visit all the other lands to unify the Trolls in harmony against Barb, who’s looking to upstage them all.
Cast as members of the different musical tribes is one of the largest, and most acclaimed, groups of musical talent ever assembled for an animated film. From the land of Funk are Mary J. Blige, George Clinton and Anderson .Paak. Representing Country is Kelly Clarkson as Delta Dawn, with Sam Rockwell as Hickory and Flula Borg as Dickory. J Balvin brings Reggaeton, while Ester Dean adds to the Pop tribe. Anthony Ramos brings the beat in Techno and Jamie Dornan covers smooth jazz. World-renowned conductor and violinist Gustavo Dudamel appears as Trollzart and Charlyne Yi as Pennywhistle from the land of Classical. And Kenan Thompson raps as a newborn Troll named Tiny Diamond.
Trolls World Tour is directed by Walt Dohrn, who served as co-director on Trolls, and is produced by returning producer Gina Shay. The film is co-directed by David P. Smith and co-produced by Kelly Cooney Cilella, both of whom worked on the first Trolls.
- The Other Side – SZA & Justin Timberlake
- Trolls Wanna Have Good Times – Anna Kendrick, Justin Timberlake, James Corden, Ester Dean, Icona Pop, Kenan Thompson & the Pop Trolls
- Don’t Slack – Anderson .Paak & Justin Timberlake
- It’s All Love – Anderson .Paak, Justin Timberlake, Mary J. Blige & George Clinton
- Just Sing – Justin Timberlake, Anna Kendrick, Kelly Clarkson, Mary J. Blige, Anderson .Paak & Kenan Thompson
- One More Time – Anthony Ramos
- Atomic Dog World Tour Remix – George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic, Anderson .Paak & Mary J. Blige
- Rainbows, Unicorns, Everything Nice – Walt Dohrn & Joseph Shirley
- Rock N Roll Rules – HAIM & Ludwig Göransson
- Leaving Lonesome Flats – Dierks Bentley
- Born to Die – Kelly Clarkson
- Trolls 2 Many Hits Mashup – Anna Kendrick, Justin Timberlake, James Corden, Icona Pop & the Pop Trolls
- Barracuda – Rachel Bloom
- Yodel Beat – Ludwig Göransson
- Crazy Train – Rachel Bloom
- I Fall to Pieces – Sam Rockwell
- Perfect for Me – Justin Timberlake
- Rock You Like a Hurricane – Rachel Bloom
- It’s All Love (History of Funk) – Anderson .Paak, Mary J. Blige & George Clinton
- Just Sing (Trolls World Tour) – Justin Timberlake, Anna Kendrick, James Corden, Kelly Clarkson, George Clinton, Mary J. Blige, Anderson .Paak, Rachel Bloom, Kenan Thompson, Anthony Ramos, Red Velvet, Icona Pop & Sam Rockwell
Author: Buddy Iahn
Buddy Iahn founded The Music Universe when he decided to juxtapose his love of web design and music. As a lifelong drummer, he decided to take a hiatus from playing music to report it. The website began as a fun project in 2013 to one of the top independent news sites.