Janus Films has released a trailer for the upcoming 4K remastered editon of The Beatles A Hard Days Night.
The film will be released to cinemas and video on demand (VOD) outlets July 4th weekend, but will be available as a special edition three disc Blu-ray/DVD Criterion Collection on June 24th. This will be the first time the film is being offer on the dual format, but will also be available as a standalone DVD.
The 1964 classic is celebrating its 50th anniversary this summer with the re-release on a new 4K digital film restoration, approved by director Richard Lester, with two audio options—a monaural soundtrack and a new 5.1 surround soundtrack made by Apple Records—presented in uncompressed monaural and DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray.
The three disc boxed set will also contain:
- Audio commentary featuring various members of the film’s cast and crew (dual-format only)
- In Their Own Voices, a new piece combining interviews with the Beatles from 1964 with behind-the-scenes footage and photos
- You Can’t Do That: The Making of “A Hard Day’s Night,” a 1994 documentary program by producer Walter Shenson
- Things They Said Today, a 2002 documentary about the film featuring Lester, music producer George Martin, writer Alun Owen & cinematographer Gilbert Taylor (dual-format only)
- New piece about Lester’s early work, featuring a new audio interview with the director (dual-format only)
- The Running Jumping and Standing Still Film (1959), Lester’s Oscar-nominated short featuring Peter Sellers & Spike Milligan (dual-format only)
- Anatomy of a Style, a new piece on Lester’s approach to editing (dual-format only)
- New interview with Mark Lewisohn, author of Tune In: The Beatles: All These Years (dual-format only)
- Deleted scene (dual-format only)
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Howard Hampton
Author: Buddy Iahn
Buddy Iahn founded The Music Universe when he decided to juxtapose his love of web design and music. As a lifelong drummer, he decided to take a hiatus from playing music to report it. The website began as a fun project in 2013 to one of the top independent news sites.